Before You Book
4 Day Lares Trek Itinerary
At approximately 7 AM we will pick you up at your hotel to set course to the village of Lares where we will start hiking. During this journey we will make a stop in the village of Calca, where you will be able to visit the local market and buy breakfast or other supplies. Your guide might advise you to buy some bread to hand out to the children you will meet during the trek. When arriving at Lares we will visit the hot springs where you will be able to enjoy the hot water while our cooks prepare a wonderful lunch. After lunch we will start our hike towards the first campsite in Huacawasi (3600m/11811 ft). During 3 hours you will walk gradually uphill so that you get prepared for the next day when we will reach the highest point of the trek. The first night we will spend the night at the house of our horsemen who are joining us on the trip. At arrival your tents will be ready and you will receive snacks and some hot tea before being served dinner. You overnight at the campsite.
After a nutritious breakfast we will start hiking towards the highest point, the pass of Sacsayllame at 4400m or 14,435 feet. The hike will take about 4 hours and will be very steep uphill. Of course our emergency horse will accompany us in case anyone needs assistance to reach the top. During this trek you will be able to enjoy the Andes mountains, a patchwork of agricultural lands and breathtaking views. Be aware that we will reach great heights and the weather can be very cold during the dry season. After reaching the highest point we will descend and pass a beautiful lagoon before having lunch next to the river. You will be able to rest while our cooks prepare a delicious lunch for you. Next we will descend further through a forest where you will be able to enjoy the “Queuñas” (Polylepis), a typical tree from Peru. This walk will take about 1 hour before reaching our campsite at Miski Unu (3550m/11646f). A wonderful place in the middle of nowhere where you will receive hot tea and some snacks upon arrival before having dinner.
Today we start the trek by walking downhill through different forests. You will be able to enjoy the rich biodiversity and change of fauna and flora during this 3 hour walk that will end in the Sacred Valley of the Inca’s. We will enjoy our last lunch in Queshuarchalloc where we will say goodbye to the Horsemen and cooks. After lunch we will take a local bus to get to Ollantaytambo. We will visit the beautiful town of Ollantaytambo before having dinner at a local restaurant. At 7 PM we will take the train to reach our final destination of the day; the town of Aguas Calientes where we will spend the night to rest from the long hike. Overnight in Aguas Calientes Lodging.
We will leave our lodging after breakfast at 5:30 AM and head for Machu Picchu (2400m/7874f) by tourist bus. We will arrive at the citadel around 6:00 AM. After a guided tour around the archaeological site, including information about life and culture of the Incas, you will have enough time to enjoy Machu Picchu or Hike up to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain if you have included the extra hikes ($20, optional), both require a separate admissions and have limited availability. We will leave Aguas Calientes by train at 6:20 PM (subject to availability). You also have the option of booking an earlier train departing at 2:55 PM at additional cost. Until then, you will have time to have lunch in one of the nice restaurants. Moreover, you can visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes to relax a bit. This concludes the Lares Trek with Karikuy Tours Peru.
The Lares Trek Includes:
- Hostel/Hotel Pickup
- Transfer to trek starting point
- 1 Night Private Hotel Accommodation in Aguas Calientes - Last night
- Group Porters (Carry Group Tents & Food), Cook
- Group Horses (Carry 7 kilos of personal gear)
- High Quality Waterproof Tents (Doite, Cima 4), Mattresses, eating Tent and bathroom tent.
- English Speaking Guides
- Meals 4 Day Trek (3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners, snacks)
- Lares Valley Thermal Baths Admission
- Guided Machu Picchu Tour
- Machu Picchu General Admission
- First Aid, Oxygen & Emergency Horse
- Early Train & Transport to Cusco 6:20 PM. 2:55 PM Return at additional cost (subject to availability)
Does Not Include
- Gratuities (optional)
- Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain Hikes - not included in base price, available at additional cost ($20)
- Sleeping Bag - can be rented at additional cost
- Private Horses - can be hired at additional cost to either carry backpacks or to ride
- Bottled Water - can be purchased on the trail
- Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes (Last Day) bus ticket can be purchased on location if you prefer to bus rather then hike.
Before You Book:
- Pricing is based on Double occupancy. Lares requires a minimum two people to depart. Single Occupancy depends on availability
- Please ask us about special group discounts if travelling with 3 or more people
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking
- This tour begins in Cusco, Hostel/Hotel Pickup is included for Accomodation located in Cusco City Center
- Tour does not have set departures, you can choose your own start date
- Passport name, number, expiry and country is required at time of booking for all participants
- Huayna Picchu / Machu Picchu Mountain Hike available at additional cost
- $20 off for students with International Student Identity Card (ISIC) Must bring ISIC with you.
- We cater to all diets, if you have a special diet please let us know
- If you are a senior or traveling with small children please ask us about our private tours.
- We recommend you pack light for this trek, you can leave any extra luggage with your hostel or hotel in Cusco.
If you cancel between 45 and 30 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 30 days or less of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Read our full terms & conditions here.
Read our full terms & conditions here.
Customers who viewed this tour also viewed